Duplexes To Townhouses: A Simple Guide to Navigating Permits and Certificates

Jumping into the world of property development, especially when it’s about building a duplex or townhouse, can be quite a maze. That’s where ApproveAll comes in – to show you the ropes in getting council approval.

Building a duplex or townhouse is a journey that can take up to two years, but by nailing the conditions and development application process, you can speed up the entire project and ensure it is a success.

How to Nail Your Permit Game for That Dream Duplex or Townhouse

1. Identify Your Council: Start by figuring out who calls the shots in the area you want to build.

2. Check Permit Needs: Chat with your local council about which permits you’ll need.

3. Gather Your Docs: Work with a skilled town planning firm to prepare and submit the necessary reports.

4. Pay Up: Cover any fees or levies to get your application rolling.

5. Be Responsive: Work with the council during their review, providing extra info if they need it.

6. Stay on Track: Once you’ve got the green light, stick to the approved plans and deadlines.

What You Need to Kickstart Your Duplex or Townhouse Project

To conduct specific types of construction work, you must have a building permit, which is an official approval granted by the local council or a private certifier. These permits guarantee that your project complies with Australian building, zoning, and safety regulations. In NSW, various construction initiatives call for various types of building permits. For instance, if you plan to construct a new building, you will need a development application and a construction certificate

*Keep in mind, the specifics of which permit you have to receive might change based on where you’re building, so touching base with your local council is a smart move.

Here’s a quick rundown of the usual suspects when it comes to permits in Australia:

Construction Certificate:

A construction certificate (CC) enables you to start the actual construction process, whereas a development application (DA) approves the project’s overall design and use. You will require a construction certificate or a complying development certificate (DC) if you are making alterations or additions to an established structure. 

Planning Permit:

Your first stop. This permit says your project fits the local area’s rules and looks good according to the council’s playbook. It checks your plan against things like land use, building height, and overall design. However, planning permits aren’t always needed to it’s important to ring your local council early on and find out what your specific project needs (this could save you some slow paperwork). You will need a planning permit if you are:

  • Starting a new business or expanding your business
  • Constructing, altering, renovating, or extending a building
  • Subdividing land
  • Building more than one dwelling on a property
  • Clearing native vegetation from land
  • Your house or building falls on a heritage site
  • You want to display a sign
  • You are changing the use of your property
  • You are running a business on a residential premise
  • You are applying for a liquor licence

Building Permit:

To build in New South Wales, you need a building permit. Following the right procedures is essential to getting your permit quickly. 

Our recommended steps to get your building permit:

  1. Hire an architect, designer, or engineer to create your plans.
  2. Send your building permit application to your local council or a private certifier.
  3. After reviewing the application, the council or certifier will make sure that it conforms with all applicable laws and regulations. Bear in mind this step could take a while.
  4. You receive your building certificate/permit!

Occupation Certificate:

The final hurdle. An occupation certificate (OC) is about making sure everything’s built according to plan and safe to live in. Expect a final inspection to clinch this permit.

Generally speaking, you’ll need to obtain an OC before living in your newly built property. (Again, chat to your council).

Make Life Easier with ApproveAll

Looking to smooth out the permit path? ApproveAll is your go-to. Get in touch for a free consultation today.

Share the Post:

Related Posts